Saint Mary's Parish in South Amboy opened a parochial school system in 1885, including grades one to eleven. A twelfth grade was added in 1918, and Saint Mary's High School was accredited by the state of New Jersey, Department of Education in 1919. The first graduating class was in 1922. The High School continued to expand, accepting more and more students from the surrounding region. In 1968, a new high school building was opened after the original structure was destroyed by fire.
In July of 1997 the high school became a Regional High School of the Diocese of Metuchen.
In September 2001, the school was renamed Cardinal McCarrick High School in honor of the first bishop of the diocese of Metuchen who was elevated to the rank of Cardinal in the Catholic Church.
In the 2012-2013 school year, due to structural issues in the Sacred Heart Parish Elementary School building, the school community moved into the former St. Mary’s Elementary School building. After much conversation and consultation, Bishop Bootkoski made the decision to combine the two schools. As of July 1, 2013, Raritan Bay Catholic Preparatory School will serve students in grades PreK3-12.
Please visit the new website: www.raritanbayprep.org and click on the “Sacred Heart School” and the “Cardinal McCarrick/St. Mary” tabs to see the exciting things that are happening in our PK3-12 school!
The school continues to meet curriculum standards of the State of New Jersey Department of Education and is fully accredited by AdvancED.